Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Homemade Watercolor Paint!

I just discovered something wonderful.... homemade watercolor paint!!

This would be perfect to make this week while the kids are home!

I made a batch for our wonderful neighbors, and it turned out better than expected, so thought I'd share.  The best thing about this is that I had all of the ingredients already at home, and the colors turned out beautifully bright!




Ingredients -
4 tbsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. vinegar
1/2 tsp. corn starch
2 tbsp. corn starch
food coloring


I made a double batch which perfectly filled 12 muffin pans 1/3 of the way.


Mix the baking soda & vinegar together (Science experiment time!!) I used a 2cup Pyrex with a spout.  Wait for the fizzing to stop and stir with a fork.


Add the corn starch and corn syrup and slowly stir until starch has dissolved.



Pour evenly into containers - I used disposable cupcake pans, but any small cup/jar will work 
(Baby food jars would be perfect!)






Add dips of food coloring. I added 4-8 drops, depending on how vivid I wanted the color. 
Red always needs more. 





YAY!! Let sit to dry overnight... Sorry, this is the tough part!!




When they have hardened, start painting!

Let me know how they turn out!









No comments:

Post a Comment