Monday, October 22, 2012

3rd & 4th - Mondrian Maps

Our Sandpiper classes have been learning about how maps are made in their "Mountains to Sea" unit. Sooo, I thought, a-ha awesome! What a great way to integrate our Art project!

We started off by looking at the artwork of Piet Mondrian and identified some commonalities in his work. Students started to see how some of Mondrian's pieces looked like maps, with the black lines being streets.


We then pulled up Google maps and looked up Wilmington.

The lines that represented roads and streets looked like Mondrian's artwork! - So cool!


So then we pulled out the sketchbooks and began to draw some maps!

 
We labeled the maps with as many street names as we could. The more students drew the maps, the more familiar they had with the arrangement of places in our town!






Next, we transferred the drawings into larger paper, first with pencil, then outlined with Sharpie. We used watercolor markers to color in a select number of spaces with the primary colors, just as Mondrian used. 


Here are some finished maps!




Today I asked the kids what they thought about the project and got some awesome answers. THIS is why we integrate, not just teach how to draw, but teach how these skills are useful in every day life! - 


"I was in my car driving the other day and I saw some road names that I had on my art map, and I realized that I knew where I was! I knew what road was coming up because I remembered drawing it on my Mondrian Map!" – Ireland

"Making maps is easier said that done. At first a map looks like just lines, but those lines are roads and we live on those roads! So you have to get them right!? – Niall

"The roads are a lot closer and smaller than I thought. Its neat to see all the places I go in real life, on the map!" – Maia

"It can be hard to make maps because you have to be exact. If you aren't then you would get lost and that would not be good!" – Carson

"We learned about maps and map sizes both in our classrooms and in Art, its neat that we can learn about them in both places because I remember more." – Aidan 

No comments:

Post a Comment